Sunday, January 29, 2012

Day of Adventure #1

The last fews days in D.C. have been such a thrill. To start where I left off... my internship at The McGuiness Group is amazing. I'm learning so much and getting to work on so many different assignments. Our meeting on Friday gave me an additional two assignments to work on next week along with an update on pretty important clients coming in on Wednesday.

Despite getting caught in an ugly monsoon early on Friday I was let out early and almost ran back to my apartment to change and get back outside to explore on what became a bright sunny spring day. Its incredible how similar the weather is here to Elon. Moody Mother Earth... I ended up spending most of my afternoon/evening with an Elon friend Taylor, who is soon to be off in Madrid for the semester. She had a conference and decided we should meet. It was great sharing and laughing and walking around into the bitter chilled night. I never imagined the monuments to be so beautiful at night. The moon was a nice touch.

Saturday was a filled tourist day. Woke up late (10am) to do some research on sites to see and local happenings for the weekend into the coming months. I found an ad for an "I Love Lucy" exhibit in The Library of Congress (James Madison Building) and said 'well that sounds like fun.' Out the door towards South Capital into the Thomas Jefferson Building - one of the most pristine and artistic structures in the entire country - thru security check, down to the cellar, through the 10 min tunnel to finally get to room 113. The exhibit showcased a variety of photographs, movie reels/footage, articles, interviews, and other media pertaining to the life of "Desilu" the dynamic duo!



Next was a walk around The Capital past The Supreme Court and on my way towards the Washington Monument (closed since the earthquake this August). Past the monument I continued to walk on towards the WW2 memorial and continued on the right past a pond full of geese. I took a stroll past the Vietnam memorial, onto the Lincoln Memorial (shown below) where I stopped into the exhibit below. Interesting how the quotes they used in the exhibit were all engravings on stone!

The back of The Capital 

The Supreme Court

The Washington Monument in the sunniest day here thus far


The Lincoln Memorial....much bigger in person :)


Walking further to the Korean War memorial which I thought was the most impressive next to the Martin Luther King Jr. memorial I passed about a 1/4 of a mile west on Independence Avenue. And yes I continued to walk, and walk, and walk past the Roosevelt and ...memorials to finally reach the Thomas Jefferson memorial as the sun started to set. I didn't spend too much time there considering the pain in my feet. I'm sure I easily walked 15 miles between Friday and Saturday. So much for skipping exercising in the gym on those days...I told myself I'd have a grace period over the weekend. HA!

The Korean Memorial

Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial


After a nice chat with Eezy, a vendor on Independence Ave near the Smithsonian Metro stop, I was back at the apartment exhausted and hungry. Cooked up a few veggies to add to my Carmine's leftovers from Friday and went to bed. ZZZZzzzzzzzzzz


2 comments:

  1. It sounds like you are having a blast! I'm glad you're enjoying it so much and I can't tell you how happy I am that you have a blog to share all of your updates! Have you met lots of people yet? Keep up with the posts and let me know when you have some free time and we can chat. I'm sure you're super busy, but maybe when things calm down some we can catch up! Anyways I love you, be safe, have fun, and keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome Pictures Cat! Let's talk soon about planning DC / Philly weekends!

    ReplyDelete