Friday, March 1, 2013

Reunion

While interning at The Washington Center last spring I met a lot of great people. Besides having pretty awesome and culturally diverse set of roommates (Korean, Alaskan, and Mexican) the majority of the population living in the dorm was namely international students. However, I did seem to make some connections with a few American students including my good friend Kristi. Since my last visit to D.C. in August Kristi came to visit Elon this past weekend.

Although I love that I live in the south and overall I've learned a lot from my experiences at Elon I am very realistic about its disadvantages especially if you do not have a car on-campus. Burlington is in the middle of NC map and it takes at least 30mins or more in either direction to the nearest city. Coming from NYC or D.C. its a significant lifestyle change. I did stress this reality to Kristi prior to her visit but she didn't seem to mind at all. I'm sure visiting a place like Burlington that is quite a distance away from an urban environment isn't such a dramatic difference coming from Iowa. Additionally the benefit of being a "homebody" means you don't mind doing nothing.


On the ride home from Durham - Megabus drop off - we ate a feast at Cracker Barrel. After a few hours of studying at Acorn we decided for our first night together we'd go out. We went to Arizona Pete's in Greensboro after a pleasant quiet afternoon lounging around. When we first arrived it was as I expected a true country bar playing hard-core country music, drinking beers, line dancing...even the cha cha slide. Eventually the place was hopping with young 20-somethings turning the dance floor into a club scene. Not feeling the hip-hop sloppy music we decided to ride the mechanical bull. I stayed on longer than I expected but my whole arm was sore for the next few days after.

Saturday was pretty chill. It was a beautiful day outside so I went out a few times to run some errands and later I did get Kristi to walk around campus a bit. Later that evening instead of trying clubbing part 2 we stayed indoors comfy on the couch and watched "One Week" with Joshua Jackson while eating slow cooked pulled pork YUM! It was a good time for us to catch up on life too so I could not complain. I also introduced Kristi to the joy and seduction of a Cookout milkshake.

The next morning I requested that Kristi make her famous crazy eggs. They were so good especially with the rest of the cibatta bread I bought at Trader Joe's and their roasted tomato soup. Instead of going to the App State game I stayed home to spend time with Kristi. Ate slow cooked Hawaiian chicken over alfredo pasta for dinner and while watching the Oscars we played a drinking game.

Throughout the entire weekend we scanned over hers and my music library sharing songs via Dropbox. I filled it up within a day. Kristi's obsession with techno/house music left the eternal human jukebox (i.e. me) to change genres. In doing so I ended up getting pissed off because I had fixated on a sound I had heard on an Alias episode but didn't know the artist or name of the song. You must understand the magnitude of insanity this brings considering I'm trying to figure out what artist and song it is and the only reference I have is making noises that don't in the slightest bit help me describe or preview the song to someone else for help. I finally figured out randomly - per usual - the name of the song that was stuck in my head the entire weekend. And the winner is...Paul Oakenfold's "Ready, Steady, Go"

Dusk at Elon 

No comments:

Post a Comment