Monday, October 28, 2013

A Walk Through the Modern Day Pumpkin Patch

Two weeks ago was another trip to a new place: Sleepy Hallow.  Now, I've never read the book nor did I really remember all the details of Ichabod's story in the feature film with Johnny Depp. So although it was nice to visit this legendary and spooky town I wish I had done more research. However, we didn't end up spending time in the actual town.

The main motivation for our drive north into New York state was to go pumpkin picking and detour to Sleepy Hallow because it was along the way. I was excited to surprise my mom going to the Sleepy Hallow Lighthouse since its one of the only pleasantries I know she truly enjoys both in experience and decor. Luckily, I checked out the website and found that Sunday was the last day to tour the lighthouse until the end of spring next year. As expected she was touched I thought of such an activity and I was glad especially because of the view of all the fall colors on the trees throughout the park. Pictureque!


 Late in the afternoon and running empty from a meager breakfast we ate and watched some of NFL games at a local bar. Despite the menu's specials were pretty much out food never tasted that good! I was happy we ate least had some good times prior to getting to the pumpkin farm quite late...well, before it closed. I guess you can't have it all, but you can pout.

Pumpkin picking, going to the Christmas tree farm we've gone to since I was a toddler, Easter egg hunting...none of the childhood memories are brought to life in the same way anymore. It bothers me because I went through a lot of loss and challenging life experiences at a young age so holding onto the few events that bring a huge smile to my face and warmth in my heart are too important to "grow up" or "get over" as some care to phrase. They don't understand.

Hopefully I can come up with new traditions and find other activities that thrill me in the same way in the near future. We'll see what unfolds in the months to come.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Cat!!!

    It's been a while since I've been on Blogger. I thought of you this week, and over the last few weeks, and purposed to try to check up on what you've been doing on here, as soon as I settled. So, here I am.

    As always, "I absolutely love your writing style," as it includes the reader in the moment. I felt like I was there. I love that feeling when I read your writings.

    Adventurous, You are. Oh, nice pics too!!!

    ReplyDelete